Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Travel Report

I had a wonderful trip to New York for the Finger Lakes Tatting Event. The long drive (I drove a total of 1418 miles) was well worth it. I had 2 classes with Ruth Perry (aka Rozella Linden)  I made one earring, and learned a new (to me) way of adding a bead to the center of a split ring. Ruth has a jewelry book coming out soon and I am excited about adding it to my collection.  The second class with Ruth was a Celtic Teddy Bear. After the class, I am confident that I will be able to weave the   Knots needed to do more Celtic tatting.

I had a class with Karey Solomon and almost finished a little bear with balloons. I managed to get an extra repeat on the head, so he is not quite right. I plan to start over and get it right as the little bear will be so cute on a greeting card. 

My last class was a Nina Libin earring pattern taught by Lorena Kinnet. I was the only student in the class but managed to get one earring almost finished.

Above is the tatted lanyard that I made for the scholarship auction.  It will keep a crochet hook and picot gauge (this one is Gloria Nelson's Bare Thread Space/Picot gauge) handy. The necklace design was taught at Palmetto Tat Days last September by Karey Solomon. It's on the 2015 Tat Days CD and has appeared in a recent edition of Tatting Times.

I did not get to take a class with Randy Houtz  this time. Randy is one of the Shuttle Brothers. I spent time with Randy at the Sunshine State Tatting event back in January and he didn't say a word about a new book.   Randy kept this book a complete surprise.  He had to cancel his travel to NY in 2015 (didn't want to share his flu ) He said making available the brand  new book at Finger Lakes was his apology for the last minute cancellation. Now that I am back home, I'll be studying the book as there is LOTS of interesting designs in it.  

I am not much of a photographer, and took only a handful of photos at Finger Lakes. I had so much fun visiting with old friends and meeting new people. It is wonderful to spend time with people who understand my love for tatting.  

2 comments: