Monday, April 25, 2016

Dye Experiment


Upon arriving early to the Finger Lakes tatting event, participants often gather at Karey Solomon's shop.  Graceful Arts Fiber Studio is on Highway 414 between Watkins Glen and Lodi. This year Karey asked that anyone interested could bring a skein of thread to dye. I had some size 20 that I had wound on my Niddy Noddy planning to get brave and try dying my own thread.  Karey had the dye mixed up and the above skein is my result. My camera washed out the colors a bit, but I am pleased with the result. 

While making the Jennifer Williams coaster pattern, I've decided that size 5 thread gives me the desired size. I have a few colors of Karey's hand painted size 5. I found a ball of size 5 Cebelia in my stash, skeined it with the Niddy-noddy and mixed up a tye dye kit. I am pleased with the colors, and will be doing more dye experiments in the future. Sadly the size 5 Cebelia tatted up to  be the same as the Lizbeth 3.

 Coaster on the right is from the dyed hank at the top in the above photo. It's the same size as the coaster made with the Lizbeth 3 Carribean. Much larger than the one on the top left done in Karey's size 5 hand paint.

4 comments:

  1. you made HDT is beautiful colors. love them all! so cheerful!I never heard of #5 before...that's interesting, I'd love to see some.
    Linda B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! It must be rather thrilling to tat with your own died thread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous colors!!!! :)
    Love the coasters too!!! :)

    ReplyDelete