Friday, July 19, 2019

Hybrid Tatting

2019 Is the year that I ventured into teaching Tatting. It took a push from my knotty friend Maryanna Robinson. She urged me to apply to teach at the Shuttlebirds tatting event in Post Falls Idaho back in May. I was accepted and the rest is history.

I taught a Hybrid Bracelet at ShuttleBirds and at Tatting Corner Tat Days (Chesterfield Indiana). I taught two classes at each event. My students learned the technique and seemed to enjoy the class. I have posted a few pictures on Facebook and been asked about the technique. Now that I'm finished teaching for the year, it's time to share. 

This technique was developed by a Puerto Rican Tatter named Rosario Ruiz Moreno. Wally Sosa taught the technique at Palmetto Tat Days 2017. I was able to take the class. I went home and played with the technique and realized it would be easy to put a bead between the split rings.  

Shuttle tatted split rings require 2 shuttles. For this bracelet you have a shuttle on one end and a needle on the other of your continuous thread.  Beads that your tatting needle will go through are on your shuttle.  For class we used size 10 thread and size 5 needle. I made kits with flower beads   from Fire Mountain. My friend Di used 6/0 beads from her stash.  

After making a regular ring in the middle of the two tools, begin making hybrid split rings. 
The first half of the slit ring is cast onto the needle using the needle thread (as though one were making true rings)  
The second half of the hybrid split ring is made using the shuttle to form the stitches on the needle, wrap the needle as if you were doing the second half of a split ring (no flipping involved)

My sample shows the needle thread in gold and the shuttle thread in light purple just before closing my ring. Note the needle thread forms a loop below my tatting.

After all the stitches are on the needle, carefully slide all stitches off the eye of the needle. Ring will close itself -- just like a needle tatted true ring. 
Slide first bead from shuttle, put the needle through the bead and place bead against your completed rings. Place the needle on the bead and begin your next Hybrid split ring.  Make as many rings as needed for your bracelet with a plain ring at the end for your findings (toggle, clasp). 
I remembered to take a picture at the end of the class at ShuttleBirds. My students did well. I had students who did not needle tat, one who did not shuttle tat but all were successful in learning the technique. This was a terrific learning experience for me. For easier handling of these large, odd shaped beads, I found it best to use a larger shuttle like a Starlit. 


9 comments:

  1. That’s clever and very effective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. Now to wrap my brain around all of your info. Lol LindaB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I see how you did it now and I must give it a try. This would also work for the end of a bookmark.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this way of bringing needle tatters and shuttle tatters together it so beautifully done I got to see you make this in person �� your the best

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent way to work in the beads! And I like the reversal of roles between shuttle & needle compared to the olden days :-D
    Thank you for sharing the method.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this idea of needle and shuttle! It was so easy to make the bracelet.
    My one question is how long of a tail did you leave to finish the whole bracelet? I had to add thread which I hate doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For my classes we used size 10 thread and size 5 or 6 needle. We started with about 3 yards on each tool (6 yards total) that was more than enough thread. It seems like a LOT on the needle side, but after a few rings it quickly becomes shorter and more manageable.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I just did one in size 20 and 4 yards worked. Probably will need 5 yards with size 10, 3 on the needle.

      Delete